General Knowledge of Gemstones
Ever since their evolution, gemstones are the center of attraction for human civilization due to their exceptional luster, natural beauty, and cosmic powers. The legends, folklores, and myths about gemstones make them even more enigmatic and fascinating. Loose gems have always been preferred for their strong properties and healing powers.
Precious and semi precious stones bring good luck, peace, and prosperity in the life of their possessor. Inscriptions from the mythological era praise them for their ability to influence human behavior and fate.
The Indian gemology believes that all the gems are related to nine dhatus of which a human body is constituted. They correspond to the nine planets as well. Depending upon these effects, their classification into precious and semi precious stones is made to determine their influence on electromagnetic field, chemical composition, and psyche of the human body.
Loose gemstones are mostly preferred for astrological purposes. They are mono crystals with non metallic mineral composition. They have certain properties that are inherent to their natural existence while some properties are added to them artificially in labs. Here is some basic knowledge about the features and properties of various loose gemstones.
* Starting with their color, precious and semi precious stones have a variety of hues inspired from nature. The play of color is eclectic in these stones while it is also bright as sun. The brilliance of these hues determines their value and complements their beauty.
* Gemstones have some degree of transparency that varies with their quality and chemical structure. Transparency connotes the extent to which light can pass through them. Mostly the lighter and pure gemstones have more transparency.
* The value of these gems largely depends upon their luster as well. Luster of precious and semi precious stones is ascertained by the light that reflects after being projected upon the surface of gem. The texture of each gemstone is different and so is their luster.
Like diamonds have the most brilliant luster while Emerald is loved for its soft luster.
* Next thing to know about the loose gemstones is their hardness on Moh’s scale. Hardness represents the ability of gemstone to sustain scratches and sharp blows. Among all the precious and semi precious stones, Diamond is the hardest with rating of 10 on this scale while Corundum family, to which sapphires and Ruby belong, follows it at 9.
* The luster and brilliance in shine of loose gemstones is also determined by their refractive index.
It is the parameter to depict the ratio of velocity of light through air to velocity of light through the gemstone. The higher refractive index means stronger corresponding luster of the stones. Their sparkle or ability to change white light into myriad colors also adds to their dazzling beauty.
* All the gemstones are related to their corresponding planetary movements. The placement of moon in a person’s zodiac sign helps to select the right gemstone. But this cannot be always fruitful as the properties and energies of gemstones are related to these planets and if a planet is malefic in a person’s horoscope, then the related gemstone will be more risky than beneficial for him.