Birthstones: their Origin and Qualities
There are 12 birthstones representing each of the months in a year. Their origin can probably be attributed back to the biblical times, during the time of Moses, where twelve colors comprised the Breast Plate of the High Priest, which represents Israel’s twelve tribes.
After several centuries, the number “12” took on symbolic meaning such as the twelve apostles, the twelve months of the year, the twelve signs of the zodiac, the twelve foundations of the Holy City and many others.
The assignment of the gemstones to each calendar year can be traced to the Gregorian birthstone poem where each month has its own gem:
January – Garnet, February – Amethyst, March – Aquamarine, April – Diamond
May –Emerald, June – Pearl, July – Ruby, August – Peridot, September – Sapphire, October – Opal, November – Topaz. December – Tanzanite
Birthstone Jewelry makes for a perfect birthday gift. Here are some interesting facts about some of the birthstones:
1. Garnet – (January) This birthstone is also designated to be given on the second and sixth anniversaries. Deep red in color, this gemstone is made of neosilicates. It was the fourth stone in the High Priest’s Breast Plate during Moses’ time. It is known as an amulet for travelers to guard them against harm while on a journey.
2. Ruby – (July) This birthstone was known for its curative powers during the Middle Ages. Blood-red in color, this gem is made up of stable aluminum oxide. It is also known as the “rarest gem” or the “king of all gems” by Jewelers in America. It is believed to be true that owners of rubies are to have good fortune, peace and good health.
3. Aquamarine – (March) The symbol of everlasting youth and happiness, the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans have regarded this gemstone as one that is of high value. It has the color of the blue sea, or blue green, having the composition of beryl, the same element present in emeralds. It is said to be an amulet for restoring lost love, increasing patience and healing laziness.
4. Amethyst – (February) According to legends, Amethyst is a beautiful young maiden turned by Goddess Diana into a pillar of quartz to protect her from Bacchus’ wrath. Bacchus is known to be the “God of Wine.” After repenting, Bacchus poured red wine into Amethyst, which gave this valuable quartz its purple color. It is known to be an amulet to prevent drunkenness and remain sober while drinking liquor. It is also known to make the owner smart and successful in business.
5. Peridot – (August) This gemstone is known for its utmost simplicity. It does not have any color variation except olive green. It is used as a talisman to ward off bad spirits and other night creatures, enhances the mood of the owner and gives them the power to have convincing speech.
6. Topaz – (November) Known as a symbol of friendship. When used as an amulet, it is believed to relieve the owner from sadness and help them with intellect and courage. It has color variations and the most common is the yellow one. Blue topaz is the birthstone for December.
Mystical Properties Of Natural Gemstones
Natural gemstones and loose gemstones have been used for many different purposes all over the ages. Different traditions assign different qualities to them. The gemstones have been used by the people in the treatment of diseases and to bring in the peace and prosperity to their lives.
Here a list of gemstones showing with their mystical secrets and interesting properties
BLUE SAPPHIRE: Blue sapphire interests wealth, name, fame, stamina, good strength, durability and security and safety in life. The main benefits for wearers are improving eyesight and hearing. It removes poverty and mental pressure. It reflects and achieve self-mastery-that is, mastery of mind, emotions, and the physical body.
CAT’S EYE: Cat’s Eye Gemstone works as a shelter from hidden enemies, mysterious dangers to wear. It is a quick active gemstone which gives an immediate effect to their wearers. Helps to contribute enrichment in life as well as in business opportunities. So, fabulous for business man.
RUBY: Ruby attracts name, reputation, quality, strength, temperateness and imperious power to its wearers. After wearing RUBY, it will automatically improve slandered of living.
Emerald: Emeralds enhance intelligence and brain power. It improves issues related to brain such as memory, communication, intuition, the intellect and the ability to learn. It’s very harmful for newly married couples because of its negative impact i.e. reduction in sexual desire in happy conjugal life.
Diamond: it helps to achieve and enriching name, fame, artistic quality of a person and its imaginative quality. All wearers supposed to get a luxurious life like its shiny colour. Diamond, with its high glow, represents the refined sparkle and gorgeous looks and beauty.
Yellow Sapphire: Famous for giving wealth, health, eminence, name, and success too. Sapphire stands for healing power most specific in star sign. It helps to enhance the economic status.
Pearl: It reduces the negative impact of the moon. It multiplies fortune and accordingly, a person wearing Pearl enjoys a happy, successful, comfortable and peaceful life.
Topaz: it is a symbolic representation of hope and strength. Blue topaz is the birthstone of December month. It improves vision, gives life security, protects one from poverty, and discards adversity, misfortune and depression.
Red Coral: Red Coral encourages bravery and happiness. It makes a person courageous and a defeater of enemies. It is responsible getting rid of laziness, courage, ambition, strength, technical ability, forcefulness, motivation, charmed beauty, and leadership.